Last Updated on March 17th, 2018
Are you a big fan of pocket knives but always end up with blunt blades?
5 best pocket knife sharpeners available in the market include:
Editor Pick Best Air Fryers
Victorinox Pocket Knife Sharpener
One of the most compact pocket knife sharpeners available in the market, the Victorinox sharpener is a bestseller from the brand. It comes in a sleek black and red case and is the size of a pen. It is very portable so you can easily carry it around in your pocket during any outdoor trips or excursions. It has a ceramic rod at one end and a pull-through sharpener at the other end which can be used to sharpen any blade easily and quickly. It supports all types of steel so you can use it to sharpen any knife without running the risk of any damage to the blade. The sharpener is easy to clean and produces fine edges according to the level of sharpness you need in your blade. The device has a drainage hole at the bottom of the sharpener so that the water flows out easily once you rinse the product after use. The product comes with a lifetime warranty so you can get a free replacement if your piece is damaged or gets damaged during use due to any reason. The price of the sharpener is a bit high if you compare it with some of the other popular pocket knife sharpeners.
- Is very compact in size and can be carried easily in pocket for any excursions or emergencies.
- Comes with a ceramic sharpening rod and a V-style pull through sharpener at the other end.
- Is very easy to clean and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Produces fine razor-sharp edge with just a few circular motions.
- The v-style pull through sharpener does not work as effectively as the ceramic rod sharpener at the other end.
- It is a bit expensive and the sharpener can break if it is dropped from a height on to the floor.
Hoffman Richter HR-1 Pocket Knife Sharpener
Designed to sharpen your knife in seconds, this pocket knife sharpener from Hoffman is made with tungsten carbide rods which shave off any blunt metal from your knife to make it sharp instantly. It has a simple yet classy design which looks elegant and neat. It also comes with ceramic finishing rods which polish the knife and make it ready for use. The sharpener is very lightweight and does not take a lot of space. The rods are cased in an ABS plastic housing which makes it tough yet portable. It is very easy to clean and does not attract dirt or steel shards. This sharpener can be used to sharpen all types of blades ranging from small fine blades to pocket knives. Another great feature of this pocket knife sharpener is that it comes with two rubber feet so you can keep it on any surface without worrying about gripping issues. One thing to keep in mind while using this sharpener is that it should be used very carefully otherwise serious injuries can occur due to carelessness. The price of this sharpener is quite affordable as compared to other pocket knife sharpeners.
- Made with tungsten carbide rods which sharpen even the smallest of blades in just a few seconds.
- The ceramic finishing rods polish the knives and make them look shiny and clean.
- Is very easy to clean and does not take up a lot of space.
- The price is quite affordable as compared to the quality.
- Does not work well in sharpening bigger knives which demand more sharpening.
- Can ruin the blades of the pocket knife if used at a wrong angle.
Smith’s CCKS 2-Step Knife Sharpener
One of the cheapest pocket knife sharpeners available in the market, the Smith 2-step knife sharpener comes with carbide blades and ceramic rods which sharpen the knife and polish it in just a few minutes. Another great feature of this sharpener is that it comes with preset sharpening angles which make it very easy to sharpen any kind of knife without any hassles. The design of the sharpener is quite lightweight and compact so it can be carried easily. It also comes with a lanyard hole so you can hang it easily and free your hands for other jobs. The sharpener also comes with 2 rubber feet for added grip. It is also good for taking for fishing or camping trips as it fits in your pocket easily and the yellow ABS plastic packaging keeps the belongings in the bag safe from any cuts or shears. It also works well on angled knives which get blunt very easily in just a few uses. The price of this pocket knife sharpener is extremely affordable and the quality is very good as compared to the price.
- The 2-step sharpening system with carbide blades and ceramic rods sharpens and cleans the blades quickly.
- It comes with preset sharpening angles which are good for sharpening angled knives.
- Is very affordable and the quality is also very good for the price.
- Comes with rubber feet and a lanyard hole for proving grip for ease of use.
- It takes some time to sharpen the blades and can add to the bluntness if not handled properly.
- Is not very effective with bigger knives which need bigger sharpeners.
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Smith’s PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener
One of the more sophisticated pocket knife sharpeners, this device from Smith comes with a tapered diamond rod which sharpens the blades of all types of knives quickly. A coarse carbide slot and a fine ceramic slot help you sharpen both standard knives and serrated knives. The carbide and the ceramic sharpening stones are replaceable so you can easily fit new stones in the machine if the old stones lose their effectiveness. The round diamond rod can be inserted in the slot in the device easily when it is not in use. It comes with specific cleaning instructions and you do not have to rinse the sharpener with water and just wipe it with a damp cloth for cleaning it effectively. This sharpener comes with a lanyard hole and some preset sharpening angles which can be used to sharpen any blade. The design of the sharpener is sleek and lightweight and it fits your pocket easily. The small size makes it a good addition to any tools set. The price of this pocket knife sharpener is a bit high but you can get it at a good discount online.
- Comes with a round and tapered diamond rod which can be used to sharpen standard and serrated blades.
- Has a compact yet sophisticated design with a lanyard hole and preset angles.
- The ceramic and the carbide stones can be easily replaced once they lose their grit.
- Is easy to clean and works for all types of blades.
- This pocket knife sharpener is a bit expensive.
- The tapered diamond rod can cause injuries if not stored properly.
Check Video Reviewback to menu ↑
Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic
With three sizes to choose from, the BladeMedic pocket knife sharpener comes with one diamond-coated tapered rod, one ceramic sharpener and one carbide sharpener along with a serrated knife sharpener for small blades with patterns. The serrated knife sharpener is set at a pre-defined angle which makes it easier to sharpen serrated blades on the go. It is made up of aluminum and has a lanyard hole. You can clean it very easily with a damp cloth as the aluminum body does not attract dirt. This sharpener is a bit heavy as compared to other plastic knife sharpeners because of the metal body but is portable enough for carrying on small excursions. The price of this pocket knife sharpener is reasonable as compared to the quality it offers. It is also available in a pack of 2 or 3 sharpeners if you want to gift it to somebody or keep a spare sharpener in your toolkit.
- Has a sturdy design and is made up of aluminum.
- Comes with a tapered diamond rod along with carbide and ceramic sharpeners.
- A serrated knife sharpener with a preset angle is also attached for sharpening serrated blades.
- Is available in multiple sizes so you can choose the one which suits your requirements.
- The diamond coated rod wear out quickly with just a few uses.
- The magnets used in the sharpener fall out if not screwed tightly.
Check Video Review
Benefits of owning a pocket knife sharpener:
People who go on adventure trips regularly or use knives on a regular basis know the importance of a clean and sharp blade. Your pocket knife blade can get dull over a period of time and might not be as effective as it was when it was new and sharp. This problem can be solved easily if you carry a good pocket knife sharpener in your pocket. This sharpener acts as a multifunctional tool and can be used to sharpen any type of knife blades and other sharp tools also.
Any pocket knife sharpener can also double up as a flint in emergency situations when you do not have a matchbox or a lighter to start a fire. The ceramic stone on the sharpener works well as a flint and dries quickly so you do not have to sit without a fire in the wild.
Another benefit of owning a pocket knife is that it can be used as a sharp tool in emergency situations and can be used for self-protection. The sharp tapered diamond rod fitted in the sharpener works well for this purpose.
Factors to consider while buying a pocket knife sharpener:
While all pocket knife sharpeners come in a standard design and packaging, there are a few factors which can help you decide which sharpener is good for your requirements. There are many types of pocket knife sharpeners available in the market but only a few are good in terms of quality and price. Some of these factors include:
Some pocket knife sharpeners come with just carbide and ceramic stones while some models come with an additional tapered diamond rod which is used for maintenance. A few models also come with a serrated angled stone which helps to sharpen serrated knife blades. Most pocket knife sharpeners are encased in a plastic housing while some are made up of aluminum. These metal sharpeners are heavier as compared to plastic sharpeners. You can choose a model which suits your requirements and works with the blades that you use often.
Another major factor which governs the purchase of any pocket knife sharpener is its quality. Some pocket knife sharpeners are sturdier in design and construction while some break easily in just a few uses. Most metal sharpeners last longer as compared to plastic ones. Make sure that you tighten the screws of the metal sharpeners tightly so that the magnets do not fall off while in use.
- Ease of use & maintenance
A pocket knife sharpener is designed to ease your work and add to the productivity so it is important that the sharpener itself should be easy to use and can be maintained without any efforts. Look for models which come with replaceable ceramic and carbide stones so that you do not have to invest in a new sharpener once the stones lose their sharpening abilities.
Most pocket knife sharpeners come in a price range of around 3 $ – 12 $ depending on their design and features. Do not invest in a sharpener which is made up of low-quality materials as they can do more harm than good. You can get good discounts online if you buy multiple packs as compared to single purchases.
- Customer reviews
Reading customer reviews online about a product that you are planning to purchase can help you understand more about a particular product and its usage. These reviews can also help you get a genuine idea of the practicality of the product. You can also share any concern that you might have about the product with the online community to get verified answers before you purchase the product.
Q: How to sharpen a pocket knife using a pocket knife sharpener?
A. If you have a standard pocket knife without any serrated edges, you can use either the ceramic stone side or the carbide stone side of your knife sharpener depending on the type of blade you have and the sharpness you need. Hold the knife at an angle and glide it to and fro on the stone till you achieve the desired sharpness. It is important to use a clean sharpener for every use as small steel shards on the stone can ruin the blade of your knife.
Q: When should i replace my pocket knife sharpener?
A. If the sharpening stones on your pocket knife sharpener have lost their edge and are not sharpening properly, you can either replace the stones or replace the sharpener if it does not offer stone replacement. Most pocket knife sharpeners work well for around 3-4 years or even more if they are maintained regularly and cleaned properly. Do not use a dull sharpening stone for a very long time as it can damage your blade and make it unusable.
Q: How should i clean my pocket knife sharpener?
A. Most pocket knife sharpeners are very easy to clean and do not require a lot of cleaning. You can wipe the sharpener with a damp cloth or rinse it under running water if it is made up of plastic to remove any steel shards trapped or stuck to the body of the sharpener. Do not rinse metal sharpeners under water as the moisture can damage the metal.
Some tips to keep in mind when buying and using a pocket knife sharpener to get desired results:
- Always glide the edge of the blade gently on the sharpening strip rather than pushing it with pressure as this can bend the blade or break it.
- If you have a multifunctional pocket knife which folds, lubricating the knife folds once in a while can help you keep the knife movements smooth and swift.
- Rusted pocket knives can be brought back to life by wiping them with any rust remover but make sure that the knife is rusted only on the surface. Deep rusted knives should be replaced with a new knife.
- Keep the tapered diamond rod of the knife sharpener tucked inside the slot at all times when not in use as it can cause injuries due to its sharp nature.
- You can keep your pocket knife in a cover if it is not of foldable nature to protect the blade from wear and tear.
- Do not leave the pocket knife sharpener wet after cleaning it and allow it to air dry completely before using it to keep the sharpening edge clean and maintained.
- You can string your pocket knife sharpener if it has a lanyard hole and attached it to any toolkit or bag zip to make it handy for outdoor excursions or field trips.
|1||Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener, Grey||$11.99 $8.47||Check on Amazon|
|2||Lansky PS-MED01 BladeMedic||$15.63 $9.85||Check on Amazon|
|3||Smith's DRET Diamond Retractable Sharpener||$10.12 $7.83||Check on Amazon|
|4||Victorinox Pocket Knife Sharpener (Clam Pack), Black||$13.56 $13.33||Check on Amazon|
|5||Lansky QuadSharp Carbide/Ceramic Multi Angle Knife Sharpener, Blue||$14.52 $13.43||Check on Amazon|
Do you use a pocket knife sharpener? Which one is your favorite?